Friday, May 13, 2011

Week in Review

I apologize for not posting a Tuesday night recap sooner, but I was too busy drying off.  Where do I begin, we show up, get going.  I think we gave up 4 runs in the first inning.  We really need to stop doing that.  I want to know what it is like to play with a lead.  Then the shit hit the fan.  All hell broke loose.  We had down pouring rains, strong winds, hail, tornado sirens, and....an incompetent umpire that had the decision making capacity of a 2 year old.  So huddle around for a while.  Meanwhile, I know that if we somehow continued that game, we would not win it.  So the rain slowed temporarily, and we continued the game while using a white T-shirt sticking out of a puddle for home plate.  I think we put up 0's in the 7th and the 8th before ending in a TIE!  Yes, that's right....a tie.  I had a brief (anonymous) discussion with the director of the league and made her aware of the horrible quality of the folks they call umpires and also the extreme inconsistency of their regulations. 

Then we faced a team with 9 guys (then 8 guys).  Somehow, even there was no catcher on their defense, we decided to hold people up at 3rd.  Needless to say, our base running needs some work.  It might even be time to bring my third base coaching skills out of retirement.  I think we ended up winning fairly handedly after what the ump said was a time limit.

Here is a list of "firsts" for me:
1. Got to play softball in lightning directly above the field.
2. Got to play softball in hail.
3. Got to play softball in a tornado warning (heard the sirens).
4. Got to play softball while using a t-shirt in a puddle of water as home plate.
5. Got to wade through standing water on my way to and from the field.
6. Got to watch BW hit solo home runs.
7. Got to see two of our own players standing on the same base.

All in all, not a bad night all things considered, except we will have that annoying tie in our record all damn season.  Lets just hope that it doesn't come back to bite us come playoff time.

Until next time....

1 comment:

  1. Another first: Game ends on a grand slam, which didn't count because we were over the homerun limit - thanks to BW's solo shot earlier in the game!

    ReplyDelete